How long have you waited to get it? Was it worth it?

• oillut@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Starbound. Waited years while it was in development, and my buddies and I just let the hype build and build. When it finally came out, it wasn’t even close to worth it. At the time, it still seemed like something that would eventually get to where we hoped (or at least for the most part), but picking it up every few months/years showed us the dev team’s ideas were great on paper, but they just weren’t capable of implementing any of it well.

More recently, I’ve seen YouTube docs that have gone into the awful development and bad treatment of young developers who weren’t paid, and fired after they caught on that they never would be.

On the bright side, it gave my friends and I a new appreciation for how great Terraria is, and why it’s similar features work so well when Starbound’s didn’t

• simple@lemm.ee
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Maaaaan I bought this game on release and it was actually better then than compared to now. Before, you could be “evil” and kill innocent villagers and loot their stuff. The game also wasn’t mission-based like they made it later on in development, the progression was more comparable to Terraria where you just find and craft equipment across planets.

Then they started limiting what the player could do, railroading them into linear story missions, making progression slower etc. It was a big disappointment, because the game isn’t bad, it’s just built on many bad decisions.

• hughperman@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Wow, I played it very very early, while they were just starting to introduce the concept of missions at all. It seemed cool then, sad to hear it’s got worse.

• oillut@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Lol I do remember having more fun when it first came out, assumed that was just the honeymoon period but now I’m not too sure.

It definitely had more of that Minecraft openness compared to the later “crappy Terraria” pre-built content. Doesn’t help most of the additions we were looking forward to at release ended up falling flat. But yeah, the game isn’t bad, just screams having more potential than it could ever have lived up to