Let’s imagine it’s currently Wednesday the 1st. Does “next Saturday” mean Saturday the 4th (the next Saturday to occur) or Saturday the 11th (the Saturday of next week)?

• Ejh3k@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I think a lot of people are over thinking this. I don’t think anyone would say next Saturday meaning this Saturday at all. You’d just say Saturday.

Like, “I’m going to see dune 2 Saturday.” There is no need to clarify which Saturday it’s going to be if you don’t muddy it by trying to qualify it needlessly.

So next Saturday should always be the Saturday after this upcoming one.

• Worx@lemmynsfw.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Right? But no, actually wrong. I said “next Saturday” thinking it was obvious, and 4/9 people thought I meant this Saturday

• experbia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I don’t think anyone would say next Saturday meaning this Saturday at all

I am someone who does this. I know it’s convention to say “this Saturday” for that, but when I’m not thinking about it too hard, it just comes out as “next Saturday” aka “the next Saturday I will experience after this very moment” aka what you would call “this Saturday”. I usually have to immediately follow up with a disambiguation, because I usually only catch myself after having said it.