• ExcessivelyNoisy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

What the fuck kind of dystopic garbage is “pet rent”? Is this something I’m too actual tenant rights to understand?

• Lmaydev@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I get that pets can increase the amount of damage a property suffers.

I had to pay a cat deposit when I moved in and got it back when I proved I had properly cleaned the carpets.

• lad@programming.dev
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

My immediate thought was that you can rent a cat if you don’t own one.

But yeah, it just looks like “there’s gonna be another tenant, pay for that” and the tenant is a cat

• Strykker@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Which is stupid anyway, rent shouldn’t depend on the number of people in the unit, you are paying for the apartment/house/etc, not some goddam per person usage.

• lad@programming.dev
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

In fact, the wear and tear of the apartment is going to increase with the number of people, but usually it’s not taken into consideration

• Maalus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Pets tend to destroy a lot of stuff, intentionally or not. If you are renting out an apartment and would have to replace the sofa because a tennant’s cat doesn’t have a scratching post, versus renting out to someone who doesn’t have a cat and that problem vanishes. Pee on the floorboards can get into them and bloat (i.e. pet misses the litterbox, just wants attention or got sick). You can’t control these accidents, unless you put them in diapers, which nobody obviously does.

• Crowfiend@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

The deposit only covers so much; for example if the deposit is $1000 in damages, but what if the animals end up causing $2000? Then you only pay $1000 when the overall damage is assessed.

• Hawk@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Literally no difference.

In my country and probably most of Europe this would be very illegal.

Animals can’t even be denied in a rental here, unless the place is too small for them to live comfortably.

• thedirtyknapkin@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              4 months ago

Oh man, it’s even more common for places just to not allow pets here. Having dogs as a renter can be very difficult.

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Can, but dont necessarily do. That’s what the pet deposit is supposed to cover.

“Pet rent” is just a gouge.

• thedirtyknapkin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

There’s almost no tenants rights laws in most of America. Gouging for every last little necessity is very standard. In fact, most places will try to charge you to apply to rent the place, and will try to refuse to show you the full lease terms until you pay for that. I’ve chosen not to rent many places just because they didn’t want to show me the full terms before I gave them $25 for an application fee.

$25 may not be that much, as they always say, but usually I’m looking at 20+ apartments. That shit adds up fast.