• breadsmasher@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I don’t think its mysql specifically, but for some reason the worst systems I have used, all have mysql/mariadb as a database.

It seems shitty applications gravitate to mysql, use it poorly, then bring a bad name to mysql.

But given all my years of experience with it, MSSQL > Posgresql > Mysql > Oracle

• boonhet@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I feel like the popularity of the LAMP stack (or WAMP if you were just starting out your interest in software and hadn’t yet moved to Linux) in the 00s and early 10s is to blame here. MySQL ended up being the default choice for people who didn’t know much about databases.

Now that I know more than I did at the age of 14 when I first started learning programming… I’ll be honest, I’m still likely to choose MySQL just because it’s familiar. But at least I know what indices are now, and I try to avoid dependent subqueries :)

To be fair, I feel like I should use Postgresql more, I just haven’t actually ever worked on anything that needed the cool data types it has extensions for.

• Semi-Hemi-Demigod@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Databases need tuning for your workload, and most people just think it’s a big box where you can dump anything you want and it will work. And then when it chokes on a terrible query they blame the DBA.

This makes DBAs very cranky.

• vapeloki@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I was a DBA for over 10 years. Postgresql is superior to mssql in most ways. Especially replication.

But that does not mean that mssql is bad. MySQL is, oracle is.