Good day comrades. Those of you who watched news recently surely heard about a “coup” in the Republic of Niger. Apparently Westerners are very mad because I am hearing of the west cutting diplomatic ties and thinking of imposing sanctions.

Now, as you know, Western news sources are not reliable when it comes to the happenings in other countries - especially in those that are either not west-friendly or part of the Global South. My question is, can anybody here explain to me what exactly happened in the Republic of Niger and if possible, provide a Marxist estimate of the situation? Is the “coup” (I’ll use the term for now because of a lack of better knowledge about the situation) good or bad for the working class of the Republic of Niger? Is it good for the global working class movement? I have seen pictures of protestors waving the Russian flag and some Western media is already claiming this somehow benefits Russia. What is going on?

Thanks in advance.

• Shrike502@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Luckily Russian forces are already in neighboring countries suppressing western backed Jihadists and safeguarding stability, and Niger could invite the Russians to do the same for them, preempting any kind of Western ploy to destabilize the situation

Weren’t they already in Niger? And supporting the now ousted president? That was the impression I got from the news

with the help of China

Did China announce their position regarding the situation already?

• cfgaussian@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

China will probably adopt their usual position of non-interference. If the new government manages to establish itself and solidify its hold over power they will recognize it and do business with it. What China needs first and foremost in order to be able to come in and start development projects is peace and stability.

• Munrock@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

AFP: A coup happened in Niger, an African country. What’s your comment?

Mao Ning: We are closely following the development of the situation in Niger, and have noted the statements by the African Union and the Economic Community of West African States on this. China calls on relevant parties in Niger to act in the fundamental interest of the country and its people, solve differences peacefully through dialogue, restore order at an early date, and safeguard the overall peace, stability and development of the nation.

From Ministry of Foreign Affairs Regular Press Conference 2023年7月27日

That’s the most recent published official comment on the matter on the MFA website.