• chetradley@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

An evolutionary biologist might argue that all of these are done in the service of being able to have sex:

• Gotta make money so I can live comfortably and keep having sex.
    • Gotta defend my country because all of the women who want to have sex with me live there.
    • Man, chicks dig firefighters. I’m gonna have so much sex.
    • TxzK@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

If you’re talking evolution, that argument also applies to women as well. We, as a species, are still alive only because our instinct to pass down our genes. Same with every other form of life.

• SubArcticTundra@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Man, the people who invented contraception must have been such a fuckup from evolution’s point of view. Evolution must be tearing its hear out rn

• Barbarian@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

There’s a lot of evolutionary processes that don’t have to do with having more offspring, but increasing the viability of less offspring. Having kids, no matter the species, is a very costly affair. You could argue that mate selection generally reduces the number of offspring, but increases the viability.

I’ve read a hypothesis (very much unproven) that having some gay members of a species increases the viability by having more people to care for the offspring without being in mate competition. It’s called the gay uncle hypothesis

• uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

The grandma effect of manopause still applies whether or not we evolved with reproductive thresholds in order to secure that advantage.

So whether or not the gay demographic originally served the population by providing more adults to kids, it certainly does now.

• Wilzax@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

People who can have sex but choose when to reproduce experience more satisfaction and control over their lives, which leads to better outcomes for the children they interact with, who will most typically share a large number of genes, since the children we tend to interact with most are family. Children who experience better outcomes are more likely to themselves raise more children.

All good things for your common man are evolutionarily beneficial.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I feel like every time out of academia I hear about evolutionary biology it’s always something turbo sexist.

• WillStealYourUsername@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

It should be noted that evolution doesn’t care about individuals, so not only behavior which increases an individuals chances of having children are incentivized. Evolution happens in a population, which is why it is advantageous for a group to have selfless traits.

• dianea@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I was riding my motorcycle today. Not too many other ways to put two hundred horsepower between my legs

• asteriskeverything@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Men only think about sex *in relation to women/relationships

Not that I follow that rhetoric but that the context when that phrase is uttered, often as a cautionary tale to young women.

• ZILtoid1991@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m a man, and I can confirm this. Even in grave danger, I wish I was having sex. When I’m coding in D, I chuckle at it’s name and thinking about what if I named my variables after sex jokes.