Reminder: This post is from the Community Actual Discussion. You’re encouraged to use voting for elevating constructive, or lowering unproductive, posts and comments here. When disagreeing, replies detailing your views are appreciated. For other rules, please see this pinned thread. Thanks!

This week’s Weekly discussion thread will be focused on Linux. I know that Lemmy is VERY biased towards Linux and FOSS, but I’m curious what non-technical people feel about it and what your thoughts are.

Some starters:

• Have you used Linux? If so, what was your experience like?
  • Would you run it as your primary system? Why or why not?
  • What would it take to get you to do so?
  • Do you feel it’s a solid option?
  • Are there any changes that you’d think would benefit consumers and aid with adoption?
  • baconisaveg@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I’ve run Linux since 1998, about half of that time was as a primary desktop. I switched back to Windows on the desktop for a few years (but always had Linux servers on my home network), and recently switched back to running Linux on the desktop about 18 months ago.

I don’t run Gnome, KDE, or Wayland. I don’t want my Linux desktop to emulate a Windows machine. I prefer command line apps for a lot of things, like music players, file browsers, etc. I don’t mind the efforts to make Linux on the desktop more beginner friendly through various UI tools, but I abhor when they do so while degrading the non-UI experience (gconf, you can fuck right off).

I also don’t care too much about FOSS. I run plenty of proprietary software packages. I have both Nvidia and AMD GPU’s and both work fine, though I prefer the Nvidia because of some of the AI tooling I run. Both have worked fine in Steam for the handful of games I play (FFXIV+mods, New World, Enshrouded, ESO+mods, Neverwinter, Path of Exile, Planetside 2), but I only have about 30 games in my library and I can tell you a good 70% of those I’ll likely never feel like playing again.

I do all my work on the same Linux desktop, but most of my job is done on command line tools (coding, git, aws, docker) or via web-based tools (Jira, Outlook, Teams). I have a VM for running Word when I need to open documents with DRM.

I don’t think Linux is for everybody, and I don’t think people should switch to it unless they’re actually interested in learning how to run Linux, and not simply looking for an alternative because “Windoze bad lol”.