• jerome@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

HOLY SHIT… I just tried firefish.social and there’s TONS of right wing anti trans lies in their trending “news.”

No fucking thank you.

• ADHDefy@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Honestly, I migrated from Mastodon just when Calckey (now Firefish) seemed to be gaining more traction. I looked at available instances, and this was one of the first to pop up that checked most of my boxes, being that it is a generalistic instance (skewed a bit toward video game/nerd culture), was up-to-date and properly utilized HTTPS, and had limits I was cool with (character limits, drive storage, etc.). I later found out that it’s run by a tech YouTuber I admire, so that was a nice bonus.

My only complaint is that there aren’t many custom emojis. lol

• Jdreben@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

What are you talking about? Trending isn’t even working right now… sources please.

• cnnrduncan@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Isn’t that a problem with specific instances/federation rather than the software itself? There are some hateful right-wing Lemmy instances too but that doesn’t seem to be a problem for you as the instance you use has probably defederated from them.

• Chozo@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

They’re also not on your instance in the first place. You’re looking at the Global feed. That isn’t content from Firefish.Social, that’s content from elsewhere on the Fediverse. Firefish.Social admins can’t moderate content on another server.

• jerome@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

I went to firefish. I made an account. On fire fish I saw anti transgender astroturfing.
                Does this mean firefish is free from all douchebaggery?
                No.

• Chozo@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

I’m just saying, that’s like buying a window from Lowe’s, installing it in your home, and then being mad at Lowe’s for having a bad view. They can’t control what you see when you use the tool literally designed to look at the outside world.

• kukkurovaca@lemmy.blahaj.zone
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

The question is, if there are instances that are full of transphobic content, and they’re reported, does firefish defederate them. If they do, the view will improve. Although, global feeds are never very useful.

• Retronautickz@beehaw.org
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

1- Never join the official instances. They always are too big that are almost impossible to moderate.

2- In which timeline did you see those comments? Because if it was global, it’s possible these are unknown servers the admins aren’t aware of. (The trending section is global)

• russjr08@outpost.zeuslink.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I mean, to be fair, the person you replied to is using Kbin rather than Lemmy - they’re interacting with a Lemmy community though.

• sorchist@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Just to be clear, which firefish server did you join?

I just checked out the main server (firefish.social) and there wasn’t any transphobic content in the “Global” or “Local” section.

I’m wondering if you ended up on a really toxic right-wing fediverse instance, that happens to use Firefish as its software, and so the Firefish main site stupidly/ignorantly listed it as a possible place to sign up. If that’s the case they need to get rid of it.

• malloc@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I quickly looked through the #news tag, not seeing this. I guess those bots were active at the time?

• AndreTelevise@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

There is a variety of instances for Firefish, such as kitty.social. One weird thing I notices is that the Firefish logo is not consistent across all instances. ThatOneCalculator, creator of Firefish, was recently involved in some drama, so some instance owners put an alternative logo instead.

• GadgeteerZA@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Does it not depend on who you follow, is what you see in your feed? Like most networks on Fediverse.