Hi, all!

For those of you who work in organizations that do decent documentation, what are you using?

We currently just have a bunch of word docs in a SharePoint document library. I’ve previously used dedicated solutions for this such as Bookstack and Confluence. The company is very anti-Atlassian, so Confluence is out.

Just want to see what y’all are using as I search for a better solution.

Thanks!

• bladewdr@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I recently migrated all our various Excel and Word documents from Sharepoint into a self-hosted Bookstack instance. I love it.

I have one shelf for stuff like SOP, contracts, etc, and another for customer documentation.

• mythnubb@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not using it, but Bookstack looked real nice for a documentation site.

We’re using a different wiki at the moment for it.

• Scrappy Duncan@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I setup bookstack at my last job and personally loved it. But yeah, takes a lot to get everyone on board with something like that. I liked that you could export stuff out of it easily too. Bridges the gap if you need to email documentation.

• Scott@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

We’ve been migrating a lot of documentation into Bookstack this year, and like it a lot so far.

• bamboo@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What are you using for bug tracking? IMO, the two should be hand in hand. If you’re using GitHub issues, then GitHub wiki would make sense to me.

I’ve never had good luck using SharePoint or Google Docs for documentation, it just gets lost. If you’re searching GitHub for an issue, it’s easy to expand the search to include wiki. Having documentation in a separate system means searching two places, which is not ideal.

• fourstepper@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

For technical documentation, most of our teams are currently using Gitlab pages, however we are steadily moving to Backstage

• flof@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You could have them take s look at XWiki - Tomcat-based, very Confluence-like, open source.

• polystruct@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Currently Confluence. We do have a split documentation policy, where long-lived and broadly communicated information should be on M365 (SharePoint and affiliated services) whereas more technical or short-lived (project) documentation is on Confluence.

But even certain broad-use information is showing up on Confluence more and more given it’s easier use (wiki and plugins like the draw.io support).

• kalipike@lemmy.oneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Cool, thanks for sharing! Yeah I think it would be hard to convince anyone to use anything but SharePoint but I’m just formating options. Definitely want as little friction but with decent structure as possible to encourage active use of it.