Is there a free alternative to Google Sites that’s open source? I want one with free custom domains, not subdomains.

• Haui
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

As a developer: google sites is 100% the exact same as wordpress, just looks better.

I’m not gonna slander you for not knowing the difference between a host and a content management system.

The issue seems to be that google offers a pretty foolproof experience for people with limited technical knowledge. That is not the case with the majority of open source systems.

Additionally: from what I hear, you wont get free top level domains with sites and not with other providers so please accept that you wont get this for free.

Have a good one.

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Sure, feel free to enlighten me about the differences. They’re both content management systems, no?

• heartlessevil@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yes, but WordPress is something you run on your server that is dynamic and database-backed. So you need to pay for and maintain the server. The closer analog would be the hosted WordPress.com service, but that is still different. Google Sites generates static HTML files and isn’t db-backed, and is fully managed.

• Haui
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I understand. Coming back to the comment in question:

The point is not that you can host wordpress on your system but that OP seems to be searching for a fully managed cms (or static site creation tool) but open source and for free(?).

Google is (as we know) not doing anything for free. They want the data, the market dominance and the traffic so they can make money from it.

From a usability standpoint they‘re both content management systems in which a person with limited technical knowledge can design their own sites and publish them without having to resort to third party designers.

That is why I said they’re the same. I was referring to the „wordpress is a script“ (it is not).

TL;DR: If OP wants managed, they either pay in data or in money, period. Managed wordpress (or joomla or others) is the equivalent to this service.