• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Honestly I don’t think it’s that hard to approach topics with the assumption that there’s a lot you don’t know, and I like to think that’s the way most people behave in most cases.

It’s fun to make assertions about things we don’t know much about, provided we acknowledge that we’re probably wrong.

I think reddit and now lemmy kind of supported a “never concede that you’re wrong” learned behaviour, both because they’re anonymous and because there’s no cost to being an idiot.

• Blóðbók@slrpnk.net
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I find it hard. I really try to check my assumptions and state my reasoning where I think it’s relevant but if I am to draw a conclusion about anything then I have to make a lot of necessary assumptions first. Some I am more confident about, others less so, but they are almost always given the same status in a statement in the interest of brevity.

I make an unthinkable number of implicit assumptions every time I communicate any information to anyone, and considering the problem of infinite regress I don’t even know where or if ever the assumptions end.

Some people are better at not coming across as assertive or arrogant (my partner, for one), and I admire that. I’m more the kind to throw a statement out there after thinking about it for a while and error correct if my assumptions are being challenged. The downsides to that method are many; unintentionally spreading misinformation being a major one, but also that people are frustratingly bad at criticising premises and instead often attack the conclusion itself and assume ill intent, or at best just disagree without further explanation.

• Blóðbók@slrpnk.net
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Oh and a big problem is also that, in the process of making weakly founded assumptions and working with those, the more you work with them, the more they blend in with all the other heuristics you’ve accumulated in your life until you no longer remember they’re even there - much less questionable.