• BongRipsMcGee420@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

My preferences go NX -> SolidWorks -> FreeCAD -> Creo

Not sure why people still use Creo but that’s all my current company uses. I’ve been using FreeCAD for personal use over the past 10 years or so and it’s better every time I open it. I wish I was a better coder so I could contribute!

• cipherpunk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I used to use AutoCAD years ago, but I haven’t used a CAD program since then. Are those 4 projects all aiming to fill the same space? And if so, why do you continue using your third favorite?

• BongRipsMcGee420@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I use FreeCAD if there’s something I want to mess around with off the clock. The other 3 cost exorbitant amounts of money that only businesses can afford. I think student versions might exist for some but it’s easier to just have a CAD program free and clear.

• cipherpunk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Gotcha! I thought maybe they were all FLOSS projects.

• Bjaldr
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

No, sadly, freecad is the only Foss cad software and honestly it’s pretty sucky.

• Beko Pharm
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Any good quick start recommendations on FreeCAD?

I’m totally lost in this. It helped somewhat when I found a control schema for Blender but that’s it.

• Crozekiel@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I used fusion 360 for almost a year designing stuff for my 3d printing habit, but since switching to Linux I’ve been stuck… Can’t get fusion to install / run properly under lutris, as others seem to have had luck and I just cannot figure out freeCAD… Still using fusion on my windows laptop and it’s the only thing I regularly need windows for…

I really wish I could find a good “transitioning from fusion360 to freeCAD” guide / tutorial. :( I feel like I can’t even start a project in freeCAD but I can make completely functional and reasonably refined parts in fusion. It’s crazy how differently 2 programs can be with the same end goal.