The parents realized their child was in the water and that her leg had been amputated by the boat’s propeller, according to the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.

• bentropy@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

That’s no news, that’s a sad information about a sad accident that makes me and everyone more sad. It’s in no way relevant for anyone other then the family, it doesn’t help to prevent further accident nor could anything be improved based on this information.

This was in Arizona and I live in Germany, if the internet keeps going to inform me about every tragedy on this glob I’m soon going to be one of them…

• iAmTheTot@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I disagree about it not helping to prevent at all. It’s a form of awareness of the serious dangers involved with boating. If even one person reads this and implements increased scrutiny while boating, that’s a good thing.

• bentropy@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

You really need an article about a dead child to remind you that a fast spinning metal propeller can be dangerous?

Aren’t there hundreds of warning signs with information just like that labeled on everything in the U.S.? Don’t you need some license or at least an instruction lesson to opperae a boat? Wouldn’t an article about boat safety in general be much more helpful than a story about a dead child?

Okay, one person on a boat is now more aware of the danger while ten people around the world are one step closer to mental breakdown and depression.

This article wasn’t written to help anyone, it was written to generate traffic by triggering empathy and compassion. It’s click bait.

• Ghostc1212@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

You really need an article about a dead child to remind you that a fast spinning metal propeller can be dangerous?

Often one doesn’t think that something is dangerous until it’s pointed out to them. Stories are the most effective way to spell shit out to people, it’s why we started making them.

Aren’t there hundreds of warning signs with information just like that labeled on everything in the U.S.?

Nobody reads those.

Don’t you need some license or at least an instruction lesson to opperae a boat?

Whether you need that, and the quality of it, depends on the state, and of course nothing’s stopping you from doing it illegally.

Wouldn’t an article about boat safety in general be much more helpful than a story about a dead child?

Who the fuck reads articles about boat safety?

Okay, one person on a boat is now more aware of the danger while ten people around the world are one step closer to mental breakdown and depression.

I’d recommend seeking a psychiatrist for that, this did not affect me whatsoever.

• bentropy@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

You’re a very strong dude. Good for you.

But is your solution to “nobody reads signs or article” and “instructions or licences are bad quality” really that we simply need more tragic articles with no further helpful information/instruction?

• Ghostc1212@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Yes, tragic stories are how you actually get through to people. Learning from other people’s mistakes is crucial, and the best way to ensure that this happens is to tell people stories which they will take lessons from.

• bentropy@feddit.de
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

We should definitely rethink all of education on this premise 👍

Better to help the people who are to stupid to survive everyday life with vague allegorical stories than to help the people who are so weak that they get mentally ill from the constant stream of tragedy that is modern day media.

On the other hand, isn’t there a global trend where people stop consuming any news at all on the base that they feel like they’re getting sick from it?

And I don’t even own a boat 😢

• xNIBx@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Stories like this make the danger more “real”. Yes, everyone knows about the danger but stories like this makes everyone even more aware. The reason there is so much emotional response proves that.

It’s why there is the Auschwitz. Everyone knows about the holocaust, the dead, etc. But visiting Auschwitz definitely makes the whole thing more real. And this can be effective as a way of preventing a new Auschwitz.

• krellor@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The problem is that things which are local news gain emotional traction and spread beyond usefulness. When I lived (and boated) in Washington State, a series of boating accidents involving teenagers led to a state law requiring licenses to operate powered vessels and new safety regulations. The local coverage of those accidents was helpful and likely necessary to change the laws.

This article should be seen by people in Arizona so they can make decisions about their safety regulations. Unfortunately, it gets indexed and pushed beyond its relevance.