• 0 Posts
  • 146 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 5th, 2023

help-circle

• Marco Rubio got almost 58% of the vote in 2022. DeSantis got over 59%. Moody got over 60%. Patronis 59.5%. Simpson 59%. All statewide races. 59.36% of FL House race votes went to Republicans. 60.07% of FL Senate race votes went to Republicans. Across the board and with remarkable consistency, 60% of your neighbors have voted to gut your education system and teach your kids fantasies. Don’t shoot the messenger.

This can be attributed to the fact that Democrats have completely abandoned the idea of campaigning in Florida and the fact that the Florida government is well-known to engage in voter suppression efforts.

Majority. A clear majority. And it’s their actions that are fucking over your entire state, not mine.

Nearly half of Floridians don’t even vote for various reasons including but not limited to voter suppression, so nah, it’s a minority of residents. I’m also highly doubtful that colleges not accepting high school diplomas from an entire state would even be considered legal, so I think I’ll be fine.

• You really need an article about a dead child to remind you that a fast spinning metal propeller can be dangerous?

Often one doesn’t think that something is dangerous until it’s pointed out to them. Stories are the most effective way to spell shit out to people, it’s why we started making them.

Aren’t there hundreds of warning signs with information just like that labeled on everything in the U.S.?

Nobody reads those.

Don’t you need some license or at least an instruction lesson to opperae a boat?

Whether you need that, and the quality of it, depends on the state, and of course nothing’s stopping you from doing it illegally.

Wouldn’t an article about boat safety in general be much more helpful than a story about a dead child?

Who the fuck reads articles about boat safety?

Okay, one person on a boat is now more aware of the danger while ten people around the world are one step closer to mental breakdown and depression.

I’d recommend seeking a psychiatrist for that, this did not affect me whatsoever.

• High school aged children definitely can understand the concept. I would argue middle school aged children can as well.

High school aged children are well known to be complete and utter dumbasses, especially when it comes to making mistakes who’s consequences are abstract and long-term in nature. Punishment by social superiors is oftentimes the only thing preventing them from doing idiotic things, because their brains are not developed enough to think very far into the future. And even then, proper impulse control is one of the last things a developing brain develops, so they might understand the issues but be psychologically incapable of the self-control needed for it. Not to mention, social media apps are designed by psychology experts in Silicon Valley to be as addictive and distracting as possible, since that’s how you get people to use your app. Having those in your pocket, when you’re too young and dumb to understand the consequences of overusing it, and can’t even exercise self control when they’re pointed out to you? It would be irresponsible for us adults to continue allowing it.

Again, if the parents are worried the kids are spending too long on their phones they can do something about it, not the gov.

Parents aren’t worried about this, and that’s the root of the problem. If the school system does nothing about it, then the kids will just end up addicted to TikTok and completely unprepared for the world on account of being distracted in class. Their parents aren’t going to do anything about it until it’s too late.

• I believe that something resembling religion will reappear in society (American society, I mean) in the future, maybe even the near future. Political substitutes for religion have given meaning to people’s lives, i.e made them feel apart of something greater, but they have not provided them with physical community, a path toward self-improvement, a guide for how to manage interpersonal relations (Apart from “don’t offend people”, in the case of progressivism, I guess?), or any compelling reason not to be afraid of death.

Traditional religion’s staying power came not from oppressive power structures or whatever people think these days, but because of all of that. Just having an oppressive power structure and none of the other stuff has generally led to religions/philosophies dying out within a few generations, like Nazism or communism. Both of those had their time to shine, completely ruined the societies they took over, and are now viewed as jokes by most people today. Meanwhile Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc, which offer way more than ideology ever has, have been around for millennia and are on track to stay around for millennia more.

• I think using a political philosophy or a common enemy to unite a society is more harmful than it is good, since those things will inevitably be held sacred, and it becomes impossible to think rationally about them. Religious people are able to disagree on things like economics because the things that they hold sacred are supernatural sky gods, instead of things which are of this world (Americans are an exception due to the polarization of the two-party system and the compelling force of American Civil Religion, which makes freedom, democracy, and the Constitution into sacred things), but people who hold a political ideology like Marxism or Liberalism to be sacred (Tons of people, many of them on this very website) cannot tolerate disagreement and will ignore facts that might disprove their ideology. This is manageable when it involves nothing more than a sky god, but when it involves the very basics of how society should operate, it gets bad, quickly, which is how you get thousands of dead dissenters and a permanently stagnant society. Using a common enemy is even worse since it leads to an irrational hatred of said enemy that drives people to do horrible things to eachother, with the most infamous example being the Holocaust. The Nazis also held their political ideals to be more sacred than their religious beliefs, coincidentally.