“As the social media landscape ebbs and flows, the team at BBC Research & Development are researching social technologies and exploring possibilities for the BBC. One part of our work is to establish a BBC presence in the distributed collection of social networks known as the Fediverse, a collection of social media applications all linked together by common protocols. The most common software used in this area is Mastodon, a Twitter-like social networking service with around 2 million active monthly users. We are now running an experimental BBC Mastodon server at https://social.bbc where you can follow some of the BBC’s social media accounts, including BBC R&D, Radio 4 and 5 Live. We hope to be able to add more accounts from other areas of the BBC at some point.”

• Snipe_AT@lemmy.atay.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Someone tell me how to feel! Do I hate this or like this!?

edit: I have been told to like this, and thus… I do.

Disclaimer: please ignore my negative initial vote score, as I have the privilege of being bot-downvoted by CCP sympathizers because of comments on this post https://lemmy.world/post/2338419, there is also the possibility that I’m just an asshole.

• sabreW4K3@lemmy.tf
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s a news organisation, so it’s okay. We definitely want more journalists and news organisations in the Fediverse. I’d much rather have them directly on mastodon than the million different bird.tld mirrors.

• Tatters@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yes, and it also prides itself on journalistic values, unlike a lot of the Murdoch empire, for example.

• m0nka
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

yes, unless it reports on the Iraq war and use ‘embedded’ journalists or reports on the Syria war and instead of sending journalists on the ground, just reprints white house memos or reporting on lgbt issues and just parrots gender critical views. But apart from that, it’s integrity is 100%, or just the bar is too low these days, idk ;(

• m0nka
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

yeah, totally. But if BBC calls for your rape and lynching, and then you see your opinion downvoted, it only means lemmy is as toxic as reddit.

• Chrüsimüsi@feddit.ch
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

This seems quite a harsh accusation. Would you be able to link the BBC article where they called for someone’s rape and lynching.

Btw, I assume the downvotes arrived because your posts seem a bit toxic 🤔 But you can prove me wrong, once you linked the article you mentioned.

• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It is good in that it makes Mastodon more useful. People can use Mastodon instead of Twitter to see BBC tweets.

And karma isn’t a thing here, otherwise I just blew a lot of it on North Korea.

• Bleeping Lobster@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Although there’s not a general karma score on your profile, seeing a post heavily downvoted tends to make people disregard it… I assume it’s the intention, that or to make the user feel unhappy / harried and close their profile

• HobbitFoot @thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Maybe, but we aren’t at the critical mass where downvotes posts and comments are routinely hidden. People will see downvoted content and interact with it.

You are also missing that the other site used karma as a way to judge if an account should be allowed to talk more. I had enough karma there so that I stopped getting the “you’re commenting too much” pause when commenting a lot. Some subs also used minimum karma points as a way to judge if someone was a troll or not. That doesn’t exist here.

• SpezCanLigmaBalls@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

there is also the possibility that I’m just an asshole

Me anytime I do anything that sometimes gets anyone slightly upset

I can’t figure out how to quote that comment. When I click the quote things it doesn’t work. I have settled with italics

Got it thanks

• Bleeping Lobster@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

You can manually do a quote block the same as on reddit, just put a right-chevron (I don’t know how to type it without it triggering quote, mine is the same key as “.”) directly before the text

• joe@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Just like on reddit, the escape character is a \. You can easily remember this by thinking of all the shrug emoticons that were missing their arm, like so: ¯_(ツ)_/¯ because the backslash wasn’t itself escaped.

So, if you want to type a character that normally results in formatting, precede it with a blackslash.

\*checks notes* results in *checks notes* instead of checks notes.

Edit: This comment was confusing to format. haha

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Me anytime I do anything that sometimes gets anyone slightly upset

Exactly my thoughts.

p.s. You can quote using the “>” (greater than) symbol at the beginning of the line.

Disclaimer: please ignore my initial negative vote score, as I have the privilege of being bot-downvoted by CCP sympathizers because of comments on this post https://lemmy.world/post/2338419, there is also the possibility that I’m just an asshole.

• WarmSoda@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Dude, get rid of that stupid disclaimer. Do you seriously put that at the bottom of all your comments?

No one cares.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

Love you too man!

Disclaimer: please ignore my initial negative vote score, as I have the privilege of being bot-downvoted by CCP sympathizers because of comments on this post https://lemmy.world/post/2338419, there is also the possibility that I’m just an asshole.

• OldFartPhil@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I think it depends on what sort of content is posted. If it’s mostly promotional stuff some people may feel that it doesn’t fit the vibe of Mastodon. If it’s thought-provoking content (especially journalism) then it will be a win. Either way, having The BBC on Mastodon seems like a big deal, to me, and maybe it will induce other journalists to explore the fediverse.