This less lethal launcher from UMX, a sub brand of the German company Umarex, has a built in range finder tied to a laser rangefinder that regulates an electronically controlled valve to ensure a projectile is launched pneumatically to hit a target at no greater than 30 joules of impact force.

This ensures that sufficient force is applied to receive the desired effect while mitigating the risk of causing unnecessary damage.

It is designed to fire a variety of capsules including one containing a pepper spray like powder and one that has an ultraviolet markings dye.

TFBTV Video [6:53] https://youtu.be/RE_Bhje1VHk?si=

• quindraco@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

It’s nonsense. You measure energy in joules, force in newtons. 30 “joules” of impact force makes no sense at all.

If it is 30 joules, the impact force is 30/m, where m is the distance the force works over. If it is actually 30 newtons, the kinetic energy is 30m.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Everyone knows it talks about kinetic energy, the exact same way as people have been talking about projectiles for hundreds of years. You don’t need to “ackchshually” in here for an SI unit and a slight mistake in an article.

• quindraco@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Everyone knows it talks about kinetic energy

I was responding to someone specifically asking, and you think they already knew? The fuck, dude.

the exact same way as people have been talking about projectiles for hundreds of years

I can’t tell which is dumber, you baselessly claiming that people have always measured impact force in units of energy rather than force, or you baselessly claiming that anything we’ve always done is ok because we’ve always done it.

You don’t need to “ackchshually” in here

I factually didn’t use that word, as you could see for yourself if you were literate.

• Maalus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

They asked “how much is 30 Joules” and you went “it’s nonsense!” despite the fact that it absolutely isn’t nonsense, and is an actual SI unit.

Way to go insulting people when they call you out. I’m sure you are a very pleasant person to be around. I won’t be responding to your subsequent comments because of your behavior.