There might be some simple explanation but i cannot figure it out.

• lemmyng
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3883 months ago

You can’t just add the balances and expect it to amount to the same as the spend. Consider this: you spend 0, 0, 0, 50. Your balances are 50, 50, 50, 0. Adding up the balances you get 150. What does this mean? Absolutely nothing.

• @just2look@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    1713 months ago

The balance has no reason to add up to 50. So there is no extra anything. If you kept spending 1 each row, and then summed the balance at the end, it would be massively higher than the 50 you started with.

• Fake4000
    link
    fedilink
    English
    523 months ago

This calculation is a bit wrong.

Lets say for example you keep spending 5 after your first payment, then your totals at the bottom would be wrong and would look like this.

The correct way to do this is to accumulate the expenditure as your balance goes down, so that total for both spend and balance equals 50.

I hope this makes sense.

• @CountVon@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Summing a balance column is never correct. Take any example that doesn’t end in a zero balance and it’s easy to see that the balance column’s sum is meaningless:

• @deegeese@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    383 months ago

The sum of spend will always be $50.

The sum of balance doesn’t mean anything and reflects the number of transactions rather than their size.

Do the same thing again spending $1 at a time and you’ll see.

• @CraigeryTheKid@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    283 months ago

OMG I do math all the time and the way the question was phrased I fell for it. (Summing balance)

I’m going to feel dumb for the rest of the day.

• @ArtVandelay@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Data scientist here! What you have discovered is what’s known in data analytics as a semi-additive measure. Instead of summing the balance column, you would count it, and get a measure that showed how many transactions took place, but not a balance. Of course, there’s no reason to simply count the one column, a row count would suffice and return the same.

• @threelonmusketeers@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    213 months ago

There’s no reason to expect that the sum of the balances remaining would be equal to the initial amount. If you spend in 1$ increments, the balances would be 49, 48, 47,… which sum to much larger than 50. If you spend 49$ followed by 1$, right away, the balances sum to 1$, which is much less than 50. This particular example has been “cooked” to give a value of 51. You can cook up another example to give whatever value you want.

• Zammy95
    link
    fedilink
    -193 months ago

Remember in school when they made a big deal about the order of operations? This is why. It’s not clear as to why, as you’re not seeing the entire picture though, just some numbers.