• Clent@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Then their signs should read: Stop Breeding Animals.

Vegans are ultimately advocating for the extinction of farm animals.

There are a lot of animals that only exist because they are tasty or useful in some other way. Their species would never survive in the specks of wilderness we have left.

If you can’t finding it naturally roaming Yellowstone or some other national park, it’s reasonable safe to assume that species wouldn’t exist if we didn’t farm them.

• shikitohno@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

It’s not like they would actually go extinct entirely, they would just evolve in a different direction and have much smaller populations. There are wild bovines, turkeys, swines, etc. If chickens were cut loose to live in the wild, they could probably do alright for themselves, but you might see other traits favored than maximum egg-laying capacity or rapid growth that only serves to maximize farmer profit by reducing the time to be able to sell them off, for example. Local populations would likely collapse until they reached a more stable level, too, given they would have more limited food available, absent someone constantly feeding them.

• Clent@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Expecting them to evolve isn’t realistic. Evolution isn’t magic; it takes many generations. These aren’t fruit flies.

Most farm animals are invasive species and it would be highly irresponsible to cut them loose.

• TexMexBazooka@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Except they wouldn’t evolve in a different direction and have smaller populations, at least not in any useful amount of time.

Left to their own devices livestock will multiply, and multiply, and multiply. Show me a vegan and I’ll show you someone that’s never had to deal with wild fucking pigs.

• lugal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Took me a moment to realize this is anti vegan because, sure, we humans have bred some (sub)species that shouldn’t exist in the first place. Farm animals are anatomically dependent on humans and have body proportions that made no sense from a animal welfare perspective nor from surviving autonomously. Their wild counterparts can stay though.

• Clent@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

It’s not meant to be anti-vegan, it’s the logical conclusion of the statement. Rather than playing with the words just say what you mean.

Ruminating on it, lead me to think about the biodiversity in animal husbandry and how that would disappear if we all went vegan. Those are side affected I’ve never seen discussed. The downvotes tell me most people prefer comforting lies and would rather avoid second order thinking.

• lugal@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Maybe it’s not discussed because the handful of domesticated animals isn’t a big deal of biodiversity in the first place. It’s not that people aren’t aware of it, they are more concerned with the real loss of biodiversity in nature.

• Clent@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

That’s an unsupported assertion.

Replacing animals with plants is definitely a reduction is diversity. We clone plants. Farmers are not going to replace their dairy farm with a butterfly garden.

Anyway, this will be my last post on this thread.

These downvotes are a clear indication that it’s not something this audience wants to discuss.

I find this to be a common theme with vegans, they are only interested in discussing the benefits and refuse to consider any downsides. But that’s an entirely different topic.