“Consumption of milk per capita has gone down every year over the last 30 years,” says Sylvain Charlebois, director of the Agri-Food Analytics Lab at Dalhousie University. “Actually, it’s gone down by more than 20 per cent since 2015.”

While bagged milk is often cited as a unique Canadianism, it’s actually not sold west of Ontario. Those who prefer it, however, say it’s more cost efficient and some even believe it tastes better.

• Holyginz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

We know in our hearts it’s not true. But we cling to what little magic remains in our minds and hearts and enjoy the fantasy that it is true.

• wise_pancake@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Then if it helps, here are a few things I use it for: crepes, pancakes, French toast, lattes, coffee, maple whipped cream, oatmeal (maple and cream make a mean porridge), I fry eggs in maple syrup and butter, use it in icing, add it to salad dressing, make a glaze from it, sugar/pecan pie tarts, instead of syrup in cocktails, I’ll use it as a topping on ice cream…

It was the primary sweetener in Canada until cane sugar took over, so anything that needs sugar or brown sugar you can substitute maple for.

I usually buy 4L which lasts a year.