Hi All. I have been watching a lot of House lately, and just started “Extrodinary Attorney Woo”. I am curious to know what you all think of their portrails of Autism. Is it pandering? Representation? Romantisation?

Also see “The Good Doctor”, “Atypical”, “Love on the spectrum” etc.

• CameronDev@programming.devOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Hmm, thats really a shame. It seems that its getting very popular to include “autistic” characters into shows now, so it seems like they are trying, but failing (at least in your experience)?

• @CameronDev@programming.dev Let me start you off with a view of the science today. A lot of women are undiagnosed with autism because one of the traits they look for is having difficulty with relationships. Autism is very poorly understood clinically. It’s not entirely the writers’ fault, if you follow autism research it’s chaotic and problematic because the origins as a childhood schizophrenia diagnosis and all the resources being centered around school age kids means loads of people are undiagnosed. However studies of self-reported autistics show almost identical spikes in suicide, homelessness, etcetera. I feel like focusing on autism as an inclusion and superpower thing informed by outdated science will do more harm than good. For the same reason why a lot of people strongly identified with the Aspergers label and it almost got a kind of vibe to it, like Sheldon from Big Bang theory. Some people feel they need to act more autistic so other people know how to treat them. That’s not as bad as TRYING TO HIDE it though!!! I just mean giving people an inaccurate bundle of traits as an identity is self-reinforcing and limiting, and causes issues with diagnosis.
      It’s a very complex condition which encompasses varying disabilities especially if you are born with an unusually large or small skull!!! Some other genetic conditions always produce autism + another condition. My cousin sadly also had epilepsy and never progressed past age 12 mentally with autism whereas you and I can have a conversation. (Another reason why many people got attached to Aspergers as an “autism but functional” label and the resources around it)
      Sorry for the long comment just trying to be specific

• CameronDev@programming.devOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yeah, i know its a complex and nuanced condition. And i didnt expect for media representations to please everyone, but was curious if they actually represented anyone, which it sounds like its a mixed bag.

I guess an upside to poor representation is that it at least provides some visibility, and can serve as a kick off point for further education/discussion?