• Paddzr@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Windows simply needs a good console mode and we’re there. Pre built market needs to mature the fuck up or steam console needs to be a thing again and we can be there now.

• Paddzr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

It genuinely needs to be even more streamlined. As silly as that sounds, anything will be used as a discouragement, regardless if xbox/ps requires initial setup too.

• scops@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I recently plugged my PC up to my TV so I could game on the couch. It works well, but I had some kinks to iron out. Big Picture Mode can play a bit of hell with multiple monitors, and I’ve sat down on the couch with a controller just to realize Steam wasn’t the app in focus and had to go back to work the mouse enough times that I’ve got a wireless keyboard with trackpad on order. I also wrote a Powershell script to switch audio and display settings and bound it to a keyboard macro on my G910.

I’m happy with it now, but Steam Big Picture Mode is not quite plug ‘n’ play yet.

• kadu@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Ah yes, you’re indeed correct - multiple monitors can cause some weird behavior still. One tip though, you can go into the settings and choose which monitor Steam Big Picture will use as the primary one. If you do that, it will automatically change this setting on Windows whenever it’s running so that fullscreen games boot up into the correct screen, and you have less issues with losing mouse focus.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

What if I told you we’re already there?

Windows doesn’t need to do anything except die in a fire.

Steam consoles are a thing. A fucking beautiful thing. Just install ChimeraOS or Bazzite on whatever piece of hardware you want and BOOM, Steam console.

Been using this for several months now and it’s (almost) everything one could hope for in bridging the gap between console and PC.

• Paddzr@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

I need to clarify my post.

It’s irrelevant how good the end results are if your steps don’t end at plug power cable and hdmi.

Think about your parents, kids etc, are they buying consoles for the sake of it or do they want out of the box experience with minimal setup? Steam deck is the closest thing currently, but still we can do better.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Again, we’re there, in my opinion.

Have you used a Steam Deck? Power it on, log into your account, and Bob’s your uncle.

• xyguy@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

I think a lot of enthusiasts miss out on this point. Its trivial for me to install a Linux distro or custom windows software that’s fully managed my controller input but my buddies that have PlayStation s would panic if they encountered a bios screen or a config file.

There’s a market for steam machines but they need to be basically a steam deck with a power supply, an HDMI output and a controller or it will be a non-starter for most people.