Instead of just electrifying vehicles, cities should be investing in alternative methods of transportation. This article is by the Scientific Foresight Unit of the European Parliamentary Research Service (EPRS), a EU’s own think tank.

• revisable677@feddit.deOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

The scooters they mention in the article are the e-scooters you ride standing up in the bike lane. Not mopeds.

I also think mopeds are a good replacement to cars, much more appropriate for 1-2 people in urban areas. But it needs to be the quieter models. The two-stroke-engine ones are just really too loud for a city. (and they burn motor oil as well as gas)

• freedomPusher@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

The scooters they mention in the article are the e-scooters you ride standing up in the bike lane.

No they are not. That makes no sense. Stand-up e-scooters are relatively quiet. Quotes from the article (emphasis added):

“worst of all, the high-pitched wail of motor scooters that speed by every few seconds.”

“Motorcycles and scooters — often with their exhaust systems illegally modified to boost noise and power”

“The noise can be ear-splitting,”

Obviously you would not describe a stand-up scooter as ear-splitting or capable of waking someone up. They’re talking about gas small gas combustion engines, most of which are the worst variety on scooters: 2-stroke.

Or if you meant the OP’s article is talking about e-scooters, that article actually covered both:

“Weight rates are usually over 10 times more favourable for the average motorbike or scooter and, of course, even better for lighter vehicles such as electric bicycles or kick-scooters.”

My reaction was to the idea that motor scooters are more favorable by a factor of 10 due to the weight – which is true, but my criteria is more complex than just ecocide-avoidance… I want my sleep too!

• revisable677@feddit.deOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

True, I was talking about OP’s article but you’re also right that they mention both. I was thinking of the mentioned ban of scooters in Paris, this one only refers to the stand up e-scooters.

• freedomPusher@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

They banned e-scooters in Paris? I’ve not heard that. Was it just the rentals or all e-scooters?

The article I referenced said Paris is banning noisy scooters, which would be motor scooters.