• SandLight@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It looks pretty cool, but why is it missing a numpad? That’s kind of a big deal, even for people who just want to play games.

E. g. Caves of Qud is designed to move with num keys. And playing a fighting game on keyboard is way better with them too.

• brenticus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s fairly common for mechanical keyboards to come in different, smaller formats. Personally I prefer it for general usability—my 60% keyboard has no F keys or arrows or a numpad and everything can be accessed without moving my hands—but there is the odd use case that gets affected. People just have to decide how important they find it to have those keys available without holding down another key.

• TheBest@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Agreed. I use to go full sized, but I only use my numpad for work. Otherwise it just isnt something I need, especially when playing the types of games I play. Also I need more desk space for the big button pad! Lol

• GreyBeard@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Do you use exclusively the backspace key when attempting to correct a mistake? I use the arrow keys a ton for moving through text fields. Most small keyboards have function keys to hit arrows, but I hit the arrow keys a lot. Seems like critical feature missing. I’m also a big user of page up/down/home/end. I can’t see giving all that up.

• brenticus@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

On my keyboard it’s a function key plus:

• ijkl for arrows
            • h for home
            • n for end
            • u and o for pgup/pgdown

So they’re all very accessible. I find I’m much slower at using those keys on a full-size keyboard or on laptops than on my 60% keyboard. But it is an adjustment, and it’s not everyone’s preference, for sure.