Question: I have a Pixel device with GrapheneOS. In settings there is an option to CAST my device to a monitor wirelessly. Which device do I need to buy to use this feature? I tried AnyCast but didn’t work.

• radau@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I tried for a bit and gave up on this. Seemed like you needed Google home and some permissions I wasn’t willing to grant to Google.

Currently using scrcpy over wifi on a laptop with HDMI when I need to cast to the TV. It’s reliable but it’s not ideal still

• Chemical WonkaOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

but I think to use scrcpy u need to enable adb on your device that break the security model of GrapheneOS and I refuse to install any Google crap in my device. So probably I will never have wireless cast in my device 😆. Thanks for support man.

• radau@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah it’s a tough one, I’m honestly shocked it’s THAT difficult to do without Google or some shady app. I really wish these devices at least did HDMI out

• Chemical WonkaOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

me too. I hope when google releases Pixel 8 they enable HDMI Out for desktop mode through firmware update to all pixel devices. I hope I’m not dreaming loud.

• eco_game
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I looked into this a while ago, I don’t know a solution, but if I recall correctly miracast, the “normal” protocol for casting, was removed from AOSP in like Android 6 or something. Many major manufacturers have added it back like Samsung for example, but that led to many custom ROMs not having it, as they just don’t have the same capacities as the bigger companies.

• Chemical WonkaOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

You’re right, Google removed the Miracast support from AOSP to “force” the user to buy Chromecast that has its own proprietary cast protocol and disabled HDMI OUT PUT support of Pixel devices using firmware lock. Shit company

• Chemical WonkaOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

No, I have a Chromecast and didn’t work too. I didn’t found any documentation on GrapeheneOS site about this feature.

• FinancedPizza@lemming.quest
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Nah I don’t think it is miracast. I tried it on my car with exclusively miracast support and it wouldn’t do anything.

• Chemical WonkaOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

Yeah,I think the same. I made some research and it seems that is not possible to cast wirelessly GrapheneOS unless you agree to use Google Play sandbox with some permissions enable and using a Chromecast device.

#sad