My current issue is i see you guys constantly having issues, editing files etc.

Is it not stable?

Can you not set it up and then not have ongoing issues?

• FiskFisk33@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Of course it’s stable.

Just like with Windows, the more advanced stuff you do, the more advanced problems you’ll have.

If you just wanna set and forget, avoid arch based and you’re golden.

• fuckwit_mcbumcrumble@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Well unless it’s just editing the text file. God forbid you unknowingly enter vim and don’t know how to get out without rebooting.

• tsonfeir@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

There was a time when I had to do that. I was a teenager. I had no idea what I was doing. And it was many many years later that I finally learned how to quit it. That pain keeps me away to this day.

Long live nano, the warm and cuddly text editor.

• Cave@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

I’m imagining that same instance still stuck open for years until you found out.

• phanto@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

To quit vim is simple!

Just get a second computer, network with the first one, SSH into the first one, find the process ID of vim, and pkill! Easy as pie!

• Fushuan [he/him]@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

… It didn’t occur to you to google “how to exit vim”?

It’s :q! and if you were in some special mode you can spam esc a bunch of times before.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

I’m not sure of you are trying to be funny, but just in case you are not, if their only working environment was a terminal and they didn’t know how to get out of vim, they were fucked to begin with.

I’m guessing they entered vim because they copied it from somewhere, be it another window, having vim in a terminal emulator, a mobile phone where they searched whatever, or another PC. If we are talking about a non graphical PC with just a single tty or a user without the knowledge of changing ttys or without the knowledge of searching the web from the command line, who somehow entered vim without external input, that’s kinda on them, idk. There’s several fuckup steps in there, all nicely stacked.

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

<This is an auto-reply. The user you are trying to reach is currently using vim and therefore unable to respond. If you’d like to leave them a message, please respond to this comment with the content of the comment that this response is responding to. This is not a joke. Thank you.>

• fuckwit_mcbumcrumble@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

That’s assuming that you’re able to google it. Before everyone had a phone in their pocket, and 17 computers lying around if you were stuck in command line with no GUI then you had no option.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Thing is, when people say that windows doesn’t break, they mean that it doesn’t break for normal users. I’d be surprised if those know what a command like editor is, to begin with.

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

And it totally does break, it’s just that people are familiar with the ways windows breaks, and know how to work around it.

• SmoochyPit@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I second this advice. Arch is a rolling-release distribution, so most of its packages are updated to the latest releases as soon as they come out, regardless of whether they’re tested to be stable with other software and hardware configurations.

I have “ubuntu server” installed on an old computer I use for hosting game servers. That thing is incredibly stable and low-maintenance.

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Exactly … If all you’re going to do is go online and maybe write a document once in a while … a simple distro like Mint or PopOS will just work without issue.

• atzanteol@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

This is odd phrasing. It sounds like you’re saying mint and pop aren’t capable of more. Same when people call them "good for newbs"n implying that more advanced users flock elsewhere.