link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

That’s not how any of this works…

Communities (as you put, sublemmy) can’t be individually federated, only instances can be. And needing another account is a sign that you are looking at a post on the wrong instance, not a sign that an instance is not federated. In fact, finding out a community is not federated can be pretty difficult unless you check the list of instances that are defederated on another instance.

That’s not a universal link, so you ended up on a different instance. A much simpler and easy explanation than what you came up with.

• tomkatt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

My bad, I’m still learning how this whole thing works, have only been using Lemmy for the last day or two.

I’m starting to figure it out. It’s a little confusing though, as when I subscribe to some communities that aren’t on lemmy.world, they all show as “subscribe pending” for me. But it seems like I am subscribed? Or maybe just seeing it here on lemmy.world but not actually the content on that instance? I’m not really sure. Sorry if I’m adding any confusion here.

• TeaHands@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Just to answer this part, the pending subscriptions (mostly a problem on lemmy.ml communities but sometimes elsewhere too) seem to be mostly a visual bug. I have a ton showing as pending but posts from them turn up in my feed so I’m clearly subscribed.

• Klaymore@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Every community needs to be federated separately, but instances can defederate entire instances. To federate with a community you have to search for it from your instance.