I mean yeah it’s obvious that it’s an oportunity for making money on a new marked and so on, but, even if it’s a bit silly, dreaming of VR technology like in Ready Player One(minus the distopian world) for real life it feels like the bad guys already won, when we will have the technology. Like the omni One is just about to be launched for the market and it’s sold in a bundle with the pico 4, which is owned by Tik Tok. Do you get what is grinding my gears about that?

• teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Phones are different because your eyes are focusing at a point a foot in front of you, whereas in VR that shouldn’t be the case. You’re focusing on a simulated point a couple of meters out in the distance, though it is usually is still fixed.

Make no mistake, I’m not saying wearing VR for hours every day is healthy, for your eyes or otherwise, I’m only responding to your claim about screen brightness. I don’t think any VR displays have even hit 1000 nits yet, and on the displays that have, that’s peak brightness, the whole display can’t use all that energy at once, only small sections at a time. Meanwhile the sky is on the order of 10,000+ nits. The brightness of the sun will certainly hurt your eyes at over a billion nits.

I would love for an optometrist to explain why I’m wrong though.