• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

A court settlement this week blunted his Parental Rights in Education Act, a law that critics call Don’t Say Gay.

It marked the beginning of DeSantis’ efforts to reshape how Floridians view and teach issues involving race and gender identity.

The Stop WOKE Act banned instruction in schools or mandatory training in workplaces that suggest a person is privileged or oppressed because of their race, sex or national origin.

“The court resoundingly rejected the STOP Woke Act as applied to employers and said it was in plain violation of the First Amendment,” says attorney Shalini Goel Agarwal of Protect Democracy, who represented the businesses that filed the lawsuit.

Gay rights groups say this week’s settlement with the state will make sure the law won’t be used to discriminate against LGBTQ families.

Union President Meera Sitharam, who is also a professor of computer science, says DeSantis has signed laws weakening faculty tenure and has put pressure on schools to promote conservative viewpoints.

The original article contains 775 words, the summary contains 161 words. Saved 79%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!