I’m very tired of SMS being horrible and necessary. Matrix has a bridge for SMS, but it doesn’t work very well. There’s other SMS bridges, no idea how well they work.

Does anyone have a good solution for dealing with SMS?

• pnutzh4x0r@lemmy.ndlug.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

You could consider using something like jmp.chat. It delivers SMS via XMPP (aka jabber), so you could self-host a XMPP server and receive SMS that way. It also has some support for MMS (group chat, media), but my experience with it was mixed (I used it for about 3-4 years).

• pnutzh4x0r@lemmy.ndlug.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

No, but basically jmp.chat takes over your phone number… it acts as your carrier for voice and SMS (similar to Google Voice). Maybe not exactly what you want.

From the FAQ:

You can use JMP to communicate with your contacts without them changing anything on their end, just like with any other telephone provider. JMP works wherever you have an Internet connection. JMP can be used alongside, or instead of, a traditional wireless carrier subscription.

The benefit of this is that you can receive voice and text on anything that can serve as a XMPP client.

• Elegast@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Beeper.com ? They have a selfhosted option. I’m using the non-self hosted as of today and it’s been pretty great. Mainly sms bridge and discord bridge are what I have been using.

• butter@midwest.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Just curious. Do you pay for a separate data connection? Or do you manage to only exist in WiFi?

• free@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

what benefit is this compared to leaving this as is with your telco? if you setup some solution wont your telco get a copy of sms anyway? it would be nice if telco can’t see sms.

• butter@midwest.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

As much as I love doing something that takes a bunch of work for privacy reasons, this is actually because cellular sucks. I have dead spots in my office and I can only reply from my phone

• free@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

ah I see. so by connecting your sms to a wifi service eg xmpp or matrix bridge, you will get notification of sms. I think is what ur aiming at. tx.