So I’ve got a rip of the Japanese Blu Ray of Evangelion, and I’d like to turn it from a jumble of numbered .mts files into something more useable. How do I get started going about that process? As an example, if I download a raw CD rip, I can use cuetools to turn it into a list of .flac tracks ready for listening. Is there some similar software (or multiple programs) for Blu Rays? I’m not really familiar with working with .m2ts files and don’t know where to start

EDIT: makeMKV worked (just to test, handbrake did as well, because the version I have has no DRM, but bear in mind that HandBrake is going to transcode/compress the resulting file by default). This turned the contents of the disk into 1 MKV file, which I could then run through MKVToolNix and split into individual episodes

• DonnieDarkmode@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This looks extremely promising! Thankfully it has a Windows version; I guess I should’ve specified my OS haha. Thank you!

• BertramDitore@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m replaying Cyberpunk, so I thought you were asking about Braindances…

But to answer your question, Handbrake.

• weedwhacking@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Handbreak isn’t gonna do what you want, it won’t see past drm. Once you use makeMKV to remix it you can use handbreak to compress it if you want though, it’s great for that.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That makes sense. So makeMKV to give me some useable media files, and handbrake to encode those useable files down to a more reasonable size?

• weedwhacking@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Yup exactly! Or if you have the storage space might as well keep the original quality and let whatever streamer you’re using (plex jellyfin etc) transcode for you

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Yeah I think I’ll do that instead since I’d like to keep things as untouched as possible

• toxictenement@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

eac3to will let you extract the mt2s files into their individual parts (video, audio, subtitles). You can then use mkvtoolnix to remux them into an MKV. MakeMKV works fine imo, but I read some vague waffling on a private tracker forum that it messes something up that eac3to doesn’t.

• toxictenement@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Found it

Why eac3to and not something like MakeMKV? Yes, MakeMKV is really easy to use because it’s basically a one-click program. However, it does have its shortcomings when it comes to detecting and correcting authoring errors on Bluray discs.

Take that for what you will I guess. They didn’t elaborate at all.

If you’re interested in using a command line tool to demux, you can get it here, at the original thread on doom9.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Thanks for following up! That’ll be good to know to have an alternative at the very least

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I actually have Handbrake, but I’d only used it to transcode (re-encode?) single files. Sounds like I need to read the documentation a bit more

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah I actually stumbled across it while looking into some of the things mentioned in this thread. It came in handy when it was time to separate out the one large mkv into multiple smaller files. Unfortunately I can’t have it spit out individual episode files right away, because I have to manually open the mkv first see which chapters mark the beginning of a new episode

• axzxc1236@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Some video players can open .mpls files (usually found under PLAYLIST folder), if your video player supports that you probably can see chapters.