• 1bluepixel@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I went and checked… That’s a mischaracterisation. A lot of people are excited, a lot of people are asking what Lemmy is. Some people are saying it sucks but that’s not the general vibe. There are quite a few people saying they visit both Reddit and Lemmy and enjoy Lemmy a lot more and go there first.

Jives with my own experience, TBH.

• ShakeThatYam@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I bet a large number of the negative comments only checked out Lemmy the weeks of the protests. I think their critiques are very accurate for that time period. But I think Lemmy now is a lot better than a month ago and a viable alternative to Reddit.

• thelongshot93@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

As long as the masses don’t all flock to just one server, the next time reddit fucks up it’ll be a much softer place to land. The only problem is the niche communities and they’re survivability when transferring over.

This really does feel like the early days of reddit. Where small, niche communities have to just keep plugging along until they hit a self-sustaining number of active users, and I didn’t realize how much I missed that till I came here.

• AdmiralShat@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It’s so much more personal. It’s way better to get 20 upvotes and 15 comments on a community of 150 than it is to get 1k upvotes on a community of 125k

• AdmiralShat@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I tried to explain this during the tumultuous time to people but most of the reaction I got was ‘it didn’t work perfectly the one time I used it so it’s not actually worth more than hot shit’.

Good, honestly. I personally could do without the type of person to write something off as bad on a single individual interaction with something that has a legitimate reason to not operate 100% at perfect level. It’s childish and I would rather those people stay on reddit and ruin THAT place