I’ve been a fan of They Might Be Giants for most of my life and have always been surprised that people universally disagree with me on this.

Linnell’s songs tend to be quirkier but also shallower. (State Songs is a good example here - there isnt a song for every state and theyre often abstract to the point of meaninglessness. I expected such a project to have more inspiration behind it.

I’ve always found Flansburgh’s more melodic and thoughtful, slightly better composed, and with a superior singing voice.

Of course they’re a great duo and they play off each other’s strengths. I don’t dislike Linnell at all, just the songs that he sings tend to not be my favorites.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I knew a guy in highschool who loved their music, but he’s the only person I’ve ever met who does.

Edit: I take that back. I knew a 2nd guy at summer camp who also loved it

• Pronell@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

They are popular among stoners and nerds, so many of my friends are fans as they fall into either or both groups.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Yeah the guy in highschool was both, and the guy at summer camp was a nerd. I haven’t heard Particle Man, or Istanbul in 30 years, but I still remember all the lyrics. The songs are real ear worms.

• Pronell@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I’m a nerd who likes wordplay and they have really interesting lyrics.

I’ve also found over time that most of the male singers I like are kinda nasal, so that might be part of what turns off others that I don’t mind.