I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla. She’s been my trusty steed for the last 14 years and is in good working order. I recognize she won’t last forever, and if, god forbid (mostly for her) I get in an accident, I will need to get a new car. So what dumb cars do you drive, and what would you replace them with?

• Gerudo@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

I’ve read through your comments, and honestly, you’re just going to want to buy an old civic or another Corolla, and if you need to, swap in a new engine. You really have to choose working on an old car to keep it running, or live with even the basic standard safety features like a backup camera. Keep in mind that the new lane assist or collision avoidance stuff can be turned off in virtually all new cars. Plenty of new cars don’t have an obnoxious infotainment screen as well.

• underisk@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Plenty of new cars don’t have an obnoxious infotainment screen as well.

maybe list them for OP instead of hinting at their existence.

• Gerudo@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I mean, I can’t list every one of them? It all depends on if you find a 6 inch screen too big or something Tesla sized.

I know my Ford Maverick and my wife’s Kia Soul are pretty tame with the infotainment system.

• underisk@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

just having a couple brands and models to look into is pretty helpful. I know i’m sick to death of massive screens with touchscreen buttons for everything. i drive my step mother’s recent model BMW sometimes and trying to just change the radio station is a chore that involves clicking accept on a screen with a huge disclaimer warning you not to get distracted by the touchscreen while driving before you can even operate it.

• solarvector@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Keep in mind that the new lane assist or collision avoidance stuff can be turned off in virtually all new cars.

Manufacturers are making this more and more difficult to control by the user.