Evidently on a posting tear today. What happens when you’re stuck in a Dr.'s waiting room, I guess…

• Computerchairgeneral@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

The thing that gets me about this is that it’s always some nefarious outside group pressuring devs to make their games “woke” or whatever. It never seems to occur to these people that the people making the games might actually hold those beliefs and aren’t being forced to put them in games at gunpoint. Also, did the guy complaining about Ragnarok play GoW 2018? The fact that Kratos isn’t the same person he was in the old series is basically the entire point.

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I always love that. It’s some liberal plot all the time. Like video games artists aren’t some of the most lgbtq folk I’ve ever seen lol

• metaStatic@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

How many diverse representational check boxes are drug out on the street and shot so they can sell their uninteresting dross in China?

They don’t have values they have a marketing strategy; and it’s because of that marketing strategy that those check boxes are totally 1 dimensional, boring, and replaceable.

Actual diversity doesn’t look or feel like a personal attack.
        Go watch She-ra and tell me the gay dads aren’t integral to Bow’s character and try to tell me that isn’t the exception to the vast majority of cardboard cutouts whose ONLY character trait is a single DEI check box.

• NoneOfUrBusiness@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Honestly no. Bad representation is worse than no representation. This is an extreme example, but just look at Muslim representation in Western media. I mean just take the extremist terrorist Muslim, or the idea that Muslim women are oppressed and need to be “liberated” from their hijab.

Again this is an extreme example but this is what bad representation is; it reduces a group of people into a few stereotypical character traits. As a Muslim I’d rather Islam not be represented at all if this is what that representation will be.

• Uranium3006@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

for disney, the rank and file are pushing against their own bosses. the gay you’re seeing is what they got away with after their bosses tried to cancel shows. I don’t know about video games but if you say so I believe you about it. I wonder what internal fights are going on?

• AnarchistArtificer@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

“The fact that Kratos isn’t the same person he was in the old series is basically the entire point.”

I always feel a little bit sorry for rage bigots like this, because of how dull their world and experiences must be. Like if he felt that the new Kratos felt narratively unsatisfying, or that his journey felt unsatisfying, that’d at least be an opinion with the potential to be interesting. But nah, it’s just “things are different”, with embedded implication that different = bad.