• HopFlop
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

move the goalposts internationally to muddy the argument

I’ve also realized this (my views on this have been changing while discussing this) and apologize fir that. To explain where I’m coming from:

I fit into the “target” demographic she is referencing. I realize this is a post referring to the USA but I have noticed the polarizing mindset that this portrays also come up, with increasing frequency, here where I live (in Europe). Criticism of the Republican party and specific methodologies are projected onto the label “conservative”, which is then also labeled bad. Posts such as these are written in such a genelarized way that they manage to polarize people from outside of the US too and it is, in my opinion, not obvious that this is referring to the Republican Party’s methodology or their specific demands, rather than their general conservative beliefs.

In general, I don’t agree with these posts trying to make people feel bad for their political opinion or feel peer-pressured (she makes it seem like the whole generation is expected to be non-conservative and those who are are weird outsiders). I find them highly manipulative and obviously polarizing.