Reddit beats film industry, won’t have to identify users who admitted torrenting::Court quashes subpoena for names of users who talked torrenting in 2011 thread.

• EmperorHenry@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Some people in the UK have been locked up for making offensive jokes.

I’m in favor of free speech for everyone, even the shitty right-wingers I hate. The solution to bad speech is good speech, not censorship. Not corporate censorship, not government censorship, not corporate censorship on the order of government censorship.

• meseek #2982@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I think that’s different. You’re held accountable to what you say and yelling bomb on a plane should subject you to a lengthy trial. That’s not the world I’m talking about.

What I’m talking about is getting online and saying “man I just killed like 3 people lol” and being arrested for it. Without proof 3 people even were killed. Is it cool to say such things? No. Could someone be punished for it? Sure. But that’s not the same as being arrested for murder.

I want a world where facts are still king and despite it all, tangible evidence exists of your actions.

• EmperorHenry@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

There’s a difference between causing a panic like that and sending mean tweets or telling an offensive joke