For anyone wondering if Threads and Facebook at large will be a fine neighbor in the space and compatible with other apps/services in the fediverse: they’re already automatically hiding comments that mention Pixelfed https://mastodon.social/@dansup/112126250737482807

• Syrc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Well, for non-German speaking europeans it makes sense, last time I checked .world was the only decently-sized English-speaking server in my area.

EDIT: well, apparently that’s no longer the case, good to be wrong I guess

• Syrc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Lemm.ee still shows up as “private” in the Observer, but I don’t know how I missed .ml being in France (I really doubt they somehow “ moved” the server). Checking again you’re right though, the situation got a lot better over time.

• SorteKanin@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

decently-sized

Why does this matter? You can see everything on lemmy.world even if you come from a small instance. Size is not necessarily a benefit here.

• Syrc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

A small instance has a higher probability of the owner stopping maintaining it. Obviously this doesn’t apply if the instance is yours, but I’m not tech-savvy enough to do that.

• GreatAlbatross@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

You actually raise a good point: People may not join a smaller instance if you’re not confident it’s going to hang around.

I might see if I can publish a contingency/continuity plan in our next community update.

• SorteKanin@feddit.dk
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

True, that’s fair. But I’d still join a small server to give it a chance and to keep them afloat. Small servers would maybe stay around more if more people joined :)