I need longer display cables for a better managed cable situation but I’m not entirely sure on what to buy.

I have an 160htz 2k Ultrawide and another 2k Ultrawide stacked on top of that. Does length matter? I have a standing desk too

I guess what Im wondering is, is there a recommended cable brand or just get whatever, and does length matter for performance?

Appreciate any assistance

• Gatsby@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

As long as it’s not like VGA or another analog format, cables are a digital signal. For the most part its either it works or it doesn’t. Length is a consideration if you’re going like 50-100 feet, but you could get a powered cable or a signal booster in that case.

If you’re doing higher framerate make sure the cables rated for that, but otherwise you’re just paying for the physical build quality, ie, bending/unplugging-plugging frequently without damage

• boothin@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

While IN THEORY true, testing has revealed that there is definitely a number of cables that say they are rated for a certain spec, but don’t actually meet the spec, so the signal can fail or deteriorate despite everything being within the stated spec. I would personally stay away from the random no name cables that are weirdly super cheap, and just stick with the more well known brands like monoprice or infinite cables

• bmoney@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

nah i would like to rock DP cables as thats just what im used to. is that better than goin hdmi?

• widowhanzo@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What length exactly are we talking about here? The length does impact Display Port and HDMI a bit at higher resolutions and refresh rates, but just make sure the cable lists whatever you need, you can buy 5m DisplayPort cables which will support 4K 144Hz and more. For HDMI they make optical cables for longer cables, I have a 10m HDMI cable which supports 4K 144Hz, but I couldn’t get even 4K 30 over 10m of cheap HDMI cable (that one only supported 1080p 60).