Hi all

Im happy to report that I recently passed my full motorcycle license. Ive been riding for a good couple of years on my 125 and im itching really hard to buy my first big bike.

Found this Suzuki Bandit very local to me and I was wondering if maybe somebody could advise.

Im having second thoughts because its a big engine and because its pretty old.

I was thinking about trying to get this bike down to 2000

Thanks in advance

• dhtseany@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I think the fuel injected Honda CBR is the better way to go, it’s also got the best dealer support compared to Suzuki but that’s just my personal experiences in the US.

• dhtseany@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

That’s a pretty cool looking bike, my only concern would be parts availability as I think you’re in the UK and the bike was imported from Italy. In the US imported models can be a pain in the ass to get parts for, how’s it like in the UK for something that came from italy?

• TerraRoot@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Get this one, have/had a very similar f2, it’s an everything bike, track, tour, street. italian import is nothing to worry about, parts are the same. what really sells it to me is the stock silencer and general unmessed with look, seems like a previous owner loved it.

Check it’s charging, 90’s honda 5 wire rectifier’s are bleug, hydralic camchain tensioner can get weak, hold it at about 9krpm for 1~2 seconds and slam the thottle shut, you’ll hear a horendous chain rubbing noise if it needs replacing.

When buying any older bike, look at the nooks and crannys a quick clean won’t have reached, check things like the foot pegs, low mileage bike won’t have worn pegs, fork chrome is a expensive pain to fix, so make sure those are good. Excellent first big bike.

• CoachDom@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Went to see it today, took it for a spin around the block and honestly felt amazing. Tip top shape, I tried that 9krpm, only got up to 6krpm but nothing rattled or made noises. The silencer had a little bit of corrosion, but at 1997 old bike, to be expected I guess. I looked everywhere I could, top bottom, and couldn’t find any more corrosion if I wanted to. Pegs in perfect shape. Forks showing no rust at all, no leaks as well.

The guy told he used ACF annualy, even given the fact that the bike was kept in a dry garage, rarely driven and never in rain.

Picking it up this Tuesday!

• TerraRoot@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Excellent! Best choice, mine didn’t even die I just got terminally bored with it after 10 years or so. One time I rode from Aberdeen to Cork in a day with a busted radiator.