I have recently upgraded to Plasma 6. It’s has been riddled with issues. One major issue is that when I let the PC sit for a while, the screen turns off (as it should), then the pc just either freezes indefinitely, or wakes up, but nothing is responsive. I can’t even enter my password to log in. For now, I have disabled auto suspend and turn off screen and all that. I suspend it manually when I am done working. I really don’t want to reinstall, as I have had this set up for over a year and I will need to do a ton of work to get it back working. I do have root and home partitions separated, and I can reinstall, but if I absolutely had to. Is there anything I can do to remove all of plasma 5 leftover things without breaking things? Is there such thing as resetting plasma to its defaults without reinstalling? PS. I have submitted several bug reports and I will get back at it when I have time

Operating System: EndeavourOS KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.2 KDE Frameworks Version: 6.0.0 Qt Version: 6.6.2 Kernel Version: 6.8.1-arch1-1 (64-bit) Graphics Platform: X11 Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 580 Series Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. Product Name: A520I AC System Version: -CF

• NathanUp@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I would try this thread on the EndeavourOS forum. I imagine that resetting your plasma config is mostly going through ~/.config and cleaning out anything you don’t need.

Is there any particular reason you’re sticking with X11? I get the impression that there are less issues with wayland on Plasma 6.

• penquin@lemmy.kde.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

I’ll try that. Thank you. I’m having issues on Wayland and some apps I use daily don’t work there unfortunately :/

Edit:

I ran this command sudo pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qtdq) and it removed over 1GB of crap. Made a backup before doing that. I’ll reboot and see if it killed my system. Lol

• jlow (he/him)@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

If your problems persist I would look into graphic (card) drivers, from my (very limited) experience issues with sleep/suspend/wake usually mean the drivers do something wrong (and maybe downgrading solves the problem?) I’m on NVDIA though …

• penquin@lemmy.kde.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I have all AMD. Done with Nvidia for life until they open source their shit and straight up support Linux. Running that orphaned packages cleaning command seems to help a little. I’ll test it for a while and see. It did remove a bunch of Qt5/kde5 stuff

• voracread@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

In the /home directory, there should be a hidden directory called .kde which mostly contains KDE settings for your user. Rename it and check. A new one might get created with default settings during next login.

Caution: I am no expert and consider all backup options before doing this because it may force you to re-install.

Edit 1: based on additional searching due to comment below, it was ~/.config for KDE 5. I have no idea of what it is for KDE 6. May be you will have to go through source code to find.

https://github.com/shalva97/kde-configuration-files

• voracread@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

Then what does it actually use? Is there a way to help the person asking the question?

• Ephera@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

It’s unfortunately a bit of a mess. There’s all kinds of files for different KDE applications in ~/.config/, with no common folder for all of them…

• voracread@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Is ~/config only for KDE or does any other application use it to save configuration files?

• deadcream@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

It’s the standard location for all apps (actually it can be overridden by environment variables and ~/.config is the default value). However like many things in the Linux world it’s not enforced. Some apps (especially console utilities) don’t respect it but most use it.

• PerryPeak@noc.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

@voracread I think ~/.config is the standard config file location on Linux (for apps that follow XDG standards) so it should also have config files for non-kde apps