I recently found out that instead of just using online sources, you can also use something you can host yourself, like Komga, in Mihon. I’m just wondering if there’s an advantage to it that I didn’t think of because the only things I can think of are:

• Progress is synced over multiple devices
  • Online sources can suddenly go offline, your self-hosted service won’t
  • JASN_DE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Those are two big points though, especially the latter. At least for people concerned with selfhosting their services.

• FischOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

It’s just that I only read manga on my phone anyway (even though that might be because it’s not synced between devices) and I’ve never had the issue that an online source went offline. I just thought that maybe there are other reasons, like how you can get way better quality when you self host something like Jellyfin for movies and shows.

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I believe Tachiyomi was meant to download the manga and view it on Android?

I forgot what Komga was, is it a downloader?

• UnixWeeb@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I believe Tachiyomi was meant to download the manga and view it on Android?

Correct

I forgot what Komga was, is it a downloader?

Similar to something like plex, jellyfin, kavita, etc. Its basically a manga media server. Not a Downloader

For downloading, I ended up trying out “kaizoku,” which is unfortunately no longer maintained. Acts as a frontend for a service called “mangal,” which seems to no longer be maintained as well… Does the job for some websites at least.

• mgrimace@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Check out Tranga as a direct replacement to Kaizoku. Works nicely with Komga and/or Kavita as a reader. Add Komf to the mix for metadata management, nice covers, etc.

On iOS Paperback works as a free reader that can sync with Komga/Kavita

As OP mentioned this setup kind if like Plex but for Manga

• thatcasualgamingguy@lemmy.nerdcore.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

As someone who was also recently looking for a multi device alternative for mihon/tachiyomi, I highly recommend Suwayomi. It’s even somewhat compatible with Mihon. It can use the same extension repos and you can restore Mihon backups in Suwayomi, which makes the migration pretty smooth.

• Gutless2615@ttrpg.network
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Assuming you’re talking about the OPDS server built in to komga, it worked great for me with Panels… until it didn’t. When my library got large enough, say 500gb or so, OPDS didn’t seem to be able to work as well as just pulling up the browser.