• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

It’s almost like the NDP say what they want to do and then do it.

Remind me why we split the vote between them and the Liberals again?

• Muscle_Meteor
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

This is BCs provincial NDP, which may or may not be ideologically in sync with the federal NDP. Its a difficult thing to determine as they campaign on different issues typically, but as BCs liberal party was its acting conservative party i tend to look at our parties as shifted one to the right. It tends to follow a lot closer to the federal voting patterns that way.

Edit: that being said i did vote for them

• psvrh@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Well, in Ontario it’s because “Rae Days” or something like that.

• smoothbrain coldtakes@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

None of the candidates are strong either.

Most people my age don’t even know what the fuck Rae Days were. We didn’t live through it, but we’re living through a housing and affordability crisis and the only people talking about doing anything about it are the NDP.

Unfortunately we don’t go out and vote, which is why the lowest voter turnout in history enabled the Ford victory.

• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Always love that argument

NDP did one thing I didn’t like in the 90s and now I’ll never vote for them

Conservatives do shitty things over and over but I’ll give them a chance … again

Liberals do shitty things over and over but I’ll give them a chance … again

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

It wasn’t even a bad thing

They just think the Ontario NDP caused a global recession

Ask someone would you rather have less hours in the short term or no job in the long term and they will side with Bobby

Ask someone if the government should spend less and protect jobs or fire people and spend a bunch of money to fill their positions and they will side with Bobby

• John_McMurray@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            3 months ago

Maybe they’ve noticed over time what actually happens when the conservatives, liberals or ndp are in charge during bad worldwide times. You definitely want a Harper not a Trudeau for conditions of the last ten years. yknow, a fucking economist.

• ILikeBoobies@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              3 months ago

Harper isn’t a good example, he destroyed our economy

Our deficit and military still haven’t recovered from him

• Nik282000@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

NDP are just as crooked as the Conservative and Liberal parties, they have just never had the a chance to stretch their legs.

• joshhsoj1902@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Makes sense. Despite what Conservatives across the country have been saying. Provincial governments are the best positioned to actually solve housing related problems.

• SreudianFlip@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Federal governments have the ability to build a massive amount of social housing and related infrastructure in conjunction with provincial and municipal governments.

They are just ideologically opposed to it.

• joshhsoj1902@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

The trouble is “in conjunction” the federal government has seemed willing to help fund this sort of thing for years. But provincial governments have no interest in doing anything.

This is why the federal government has started bypassing the provinces to work directly with municipalities.

• SreudianFlip@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Yes, true, and as I mentioned the cons and libs are ideologically opposed to risking the uppermid property equity of their main supporters.

However cf. the housing co-op initiatives of the 70’s and 80’s and other initiatives that don’t require the provinces.

• John_McMurray@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Only if you pretend the problem is lack of housing not insane immigration. Maybe importing carpenters instead of truckers and counter staff would help.

• SamuelRJankis@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

The NDP is doing the best job in the country for housing affordability but I don’t see any metric in the article that quantifies it.

In itself this statement is incorrect.

These policies are making housing more affordable in real time for British Columbians.

The issue with any regional housing affordability improvement is the fact that it is regional and the benefits are not limited to locals. If BC magically halved our housing prices tomorrow it would return to high prices within months with the induced demand. I don’t see a solution where affordability is not collectively fixed in this country.

• kbal@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

2 min to read

Oh, I guess that really was the whole thing then. I’m sympathetic to the premise that BC might be doing better than Ontario recently in housing policy, but it’s unclear how much cherry-picking was involved in finding that one data point. Considering how far prices had risen out West it’s going take more than that to convince me that they’re “beating it back.”

• kbal@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Yeah that was sort of my point. To say anything meaningful about it you have to look at the longer-term context, not just the latest single housing starts number.

• John_McMurray@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

The housing market in Swift fucking Current, Saskatchewan, is comparable in real dollars to St Petersburg, Florida, just outside Miama.