• Narann@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’m as happy as you all, but having a teenager that starts to mod games, I realize the whole modding ecosystem of many popular games is Windows only.

Many peoples say you should play on pc because of modding. I would say from a Linux perspective, having the modding community switching to Linux is the next big step.

• PeterPoopshit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

What kinds of things are you having a hard time modding in Linux? I generally stay away from AAA games and especially AAA games that don’t have mod support. There’s gimp. There’s blender. There’s audacity. There’s an abundance of good text editors. Almost every file explorer is easier to use and more powerful than the one in Windows. Java development kit kind of sucks in Linux with that export path variable nonsense that never ever works correctly but other than that, I don’t think I could do half the modding in Windows that I do in Linux.

• SSUPII@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

When the game has no official modding support you need base modifications probably already compiled by someone else with who knows really what exact modification.

An example is Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. Base, unmodded game is actually Platinum on Wine’s AppDB. But when you mod (by running injecting scripts via a modified dinput8.dll file) the game gets very unstable no matter what mod unlike on Windows.

• dezmd@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

So someone just needs to be interested enough in playing it to jump into a Wine staging dev and do the leg work to fix what breaks.

That’s exactly how Wine has continued to expand what it can do for over 30 years…

• havokdj@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

You mean mod managers? A lot of those actually still work under WINE and you can even run them in a game’s prefix using Winetricks and Protontricks (which is how a lot of us do it)

It performs exactly as expected, all mod managers really do is automate putting files where they need to go.

• Dark Arc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This might be true of some things, but I jumpstarted a software engineering career modding Minecraft and running Minecraft servers on Linux