I hate that everything now is a subscription service instead of buying it and do whatever you want.

• rh4c6f@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’ve been buying preowned DVDs off ebay every few weeks or so for the last year. I don’t even bother looking to see if they are available to stream anymore.

• Deftdrummer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

This. My only media expense monthly is my VPN at $10. Everything is pirated.

Even that though - I just download only my favorites for the collection. Everything else is available on stand alone websites these days (multiple) so if you’re paying for a streaming service or really even using bittorrent then you’re living in the past as far as movies go.

• errer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Blurays exist and they’re pretty cheap from thrift stores (often just $3)

• floofloof@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

DVD isn’t very good quality. I don’t really care and I have a tiny TV, and DVDs still don’t look very good on it.

• DM_ME_SQUIRRELS@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

The video quality is shit and it’s extremely obvious in my opinion. Even the sound is inferior to a good torrent with Dolby TrueHD/DTS HD sound.

• DM_ME_SQUIRRELS@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Why isn’t it fair? No reason you can’t just torrent a 10GB Blu-Ray rip of the movie. It’s free, easy and probably takes less time than going out and buying a DVD.

I would say that side-to-side the quality of Netflix-like streaming is A LOT better, at least when it comes to video. Audio is probably comparable since both DVD’s and streaming services usually use Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus.

• ALostInquirer@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Thanks! I’ve read that VLC can do it before, but I’ll look into giving it another shot sometime. The guides I found weren’t exactly the best, but with the mentioned packages I should be able to better narrow the searches to better guides, I think.