• Goodie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 个月前

I think people love to hate Steve. The one thing people love more than a great figurehead, is hating one. I think that Steve had a great internal model of how to combine form/function.

iPhone wasn’t the first smartphone, but it may as well have been. It brought the smartphone to the mass market.

Part of it was a great advertising campaign, which unlike the smartphones at the time, pitched it as a luxury good as opposed to an executive enterprise one. You owned a blackberry to answer emails wherever and whenever you were, you owned an iphone so you can check Google Maps. A large part of it was redefining both the form factor, and use case of a smartphone.

• Alto@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 个月前

I’m pretty sure the main reason people hate Jobs is because by all accounts he was an absolute ass and was objectively a wackadoodle when it came to that homeopathic healing shit and not showering.

• DingoBilly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 个月前

Yep. He was the Elon Musk of those years. Great at marketing but an asshole to work for and likely would have started spreading his insane crap at some point to the masses.

• Goodie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 个月前

Oh, he was an absolute asshole. Seems I deleted that sentence. RIP me.

“I have enabled and ushered in a new age of knowledge access like no other, here’s a cool way to eat that goes against all reasonable nutritionists’ advice. Sounds good to me!” - Really seems like a fitting way to kick off this century IMO.

• autokludge@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 个月前

At the time iPhone 1 didn’t seem like anything smarter than an iPod that could take calls. I was hyped over the Nokia 770 and eager to see what else would come out with Meamo OS. It took till mid 2008 until iPhone 3G and iOS 2 (and app store) were released.

• Goodie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 个月前

An ipod with a much larger screen (320×240 vs 480x320), a camera, and could take phone calls, browse the internet, and do email.