Good news everyone!

This week’s midweek discussion question is a simple one:

What is your favorite genre?

My favorite are fantasy novels. Bonus points for everything that has a leg in the Slice of Life genre as well. Even more bonus points for everything that has little to no drama. I read to relax I can only read so many books that don’t let me relax at a given time. Reading the current arc of Bookworm is exhilarating and bad for my finger nails, but I really need something comfy in between.

• 佐藤カズマ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I honestly don’t know, because I’ve read so many different things and enjoyed them. My JNC reading list alone has been:

• Haibara’s Teenage New Game+
    • Chillin’ In Another World with Level 2 Super Cheat Powers
    • Now I’m A Demon Lord! Happily Ever After With Monster Girls In My Dungeon
    • The Frontier Lord Begins With Zero Subjects
    • An Introvert’s Hookup Hiccups: This Gyaru Is Head Over Heels For Me
    • Peddler In Another World: I Can Go Back To My World Whenever I Want!
    • You Like Me, Not My Daughter!?
    • Isekai Tensei: Recruited To Another World

Throw in “Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian” and “Chitose Is In The Ramune Bottle,” and, uh…yeah. Also, I fucking love “The Saga of Tanya the Evil”. Honestly, even if it is a (somewhat) hot take, I think the series is pretty underrated and criminally under-read.

And in Japanese, I’m currently reading 田んぼで拾った女騎士、田舎俺の嫁だと思われている and 俺ん家に来た女騎士と田舎暮らしすることになった件, as well as 受付嬢に告白したくてギルドに通い詰めたら英雄になってた。

• NineSwords@ani.socialOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

“The Saga of Tanya the Evil”. Honestly, even if it is a (somewhat) hot take, I think the series is pretty underrated and criminally under-read.

Doesn’t look under-read to me. At least I see it often discussed after the success of the anime. An argument could be made that it is still under-read even after that, but you can bet that I would say the same about Bookworm in that case ;)

But if you are reading in Japanese, do happen to have read Tearmoon Empire in its original language, I would love to know how it compares to the translation. Is it just as witty or less so?

• 佐藤カズマ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I can’t say I’ve read Tearmoon Empire in any language. But as far as Youjo Senki is concerned, the anime pretty much completely ignores the source material. It’s truly an abominable adaptation…

• NineSwords@ani.socialOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

It’s truly an abominable adaptation…

Ah come on now… Did the lightnovel have a completely unhinged Aoi Yuuki? No, it did not! But you convinced me. I put the first volume eon my plan to read list.

• 佐藤カズマ@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

I’m just going by the standard of “how well did the anime put on screen what’s written in the light novel”, and in that regard it did do a rather poor job. But I can’t disagree with loving Yuuki Aoi at her most…dangerous, shall we say. The chemistry between her/Tanya and Hayami Saori as Visha is fucking impeccable.