• MamboGator@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

My main issue with anything that flies and doesn’t have wings is that, if anything bad happens, it’s straight to the ground and everyone (probably) dies. Planes can at least glide if there’s an engine failure.

That said, we still have helicopters and hot air balloons, so I don’t see why we shouldn’t have dirigibles as well.

• 33550336@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Helicopter can also go into autorotation mode, i.e., to “gently” land even with engine failure. I think airships has no moving parts, what’s safe, and with the gas leak, I think it is rather slow process, so it would be easy to gently land.

• 5too@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Yep, airships aren’t overpressurized like a balloon - any leak will be extremely slow, as the heavier ambient air gradually displaces the helium inside the airship through whatever hole might be created. As I understand it, one of the big maintenance issues they have is even finding the holes from normal wear and tear. The usual failure scenarios involve storms with huge pressure changes.

• 33550336@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Helium could be detected with some specialized detectors, but I suppose approximately – so, as you said, finding exact leak place is challenging.