I mean like awareness that, just under the surface, there are deep explorations waiting for the right time and place to emerge; things you’ve set aside or placed on the back burner but will tackle eventually/many you already have tackled.

Are you deeply self aware of these interests like some kind of list? If so, are these interests deeply connected in your mind to your past explorations and interests like some kind of road map or branching tree structure of thought?

• NikkiNikkiNikki@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I’ve been wanting to learn how to work with metal for a while now, my current long time goal is to get good enough to make a rotary valve train for my Subaru motor. I’ve been absorbing a lot of information about how engines work and how these parts interact I’m just missing all the practical knowledge for it.

• NikkiNikkiNikki@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

A custom head + rotary valve train, the EJ25 uses standard valves with a standard cam design, this is fine, but rotary valves have their own advantages and disadvantages that I think would be fun to tinker with. Unlike a regular valve, rotary valves don’t have springs, therefore they don’t experience the “valve float” that standard valves experience at higher RPM’s, allowing you to rev to very fast engine speeds. They also give better fuel economy since they are much lower resistance, standard valves have to overcome the force of each spring in order to open, rotary valves are just a hole. Rotary valves are also non-interference, and if I blew the timing belt, it wouldn’t destroy the engine

I’d also just like to be able to make shit out of metal, it’s a brainworm of mine I’ve had forever

• j4k3@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

It has been too long since I was into this stuff and I’ve mostly put cars out of my mind. For a long time I wanted to find a GC with a STI motor swap already done but never got around to finding one.

I had a hair brain dream of using some custom heads someone had sitting on a shelf that were made for a small block chevy and mechanical direct injection. I had come up with some combo of parts I needed along with a megasquirt setup that would push pump fuel to its max with water injection and my B&M miniblower. I was working on long tube headers and a custom fabricated exhaust when I got the broken neck that took car stuff away from me completely. The heads were off and I had no way of salvaging so had to sell the WIP. My family sucks so much they practically gave away my car with my small lathe and mill at the same time. The latter actually hurts more. Tools are like oxygen to me.

Good luck with the Scooby. Hope you find your way to many fun drives.