I mean like awareness that, just under the surface, there are deep explorations waiting for the right time and place to emerge; things you’ve set aside or placed on the back burner but will tackle eventually/many you already have tackled.

Are you deeply self aware of these interests like some kind of list? If so, are these interests deeply connected in your mind to your past explorations and interests like some kind of road map or branching tree structure of thought?

• Dr Cog@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Not in any way, no. Our brains can’t predict what we will be interested in or good at.

But we do have predispositions. If you are able to focus intently on things, or are creative, or are more athletic, which are reflected in neuronal connectivity, you might be more interested in more detail-oriented or creative or athletic hobbies.

• cosmicrookie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I think what OP means is, are potential rabbit holes that we have noticed but not explored yet.

Like maybe you’ve baked a sourdough bread once and felt that it could be fun to ‘learn some more’ about that at some time.

• j4k3@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

More like, I made sourdough and thought I wonder what this looks like under the microscope and how bacteria can be isolated and cultured to make unique flavors in a practical DIY at-home context. Then putting that idea on a mental back burner to find yourself actually pursuing the idea a decade later when you encounter a great deal on a microscope.