• MeatsOfRage@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Yea I’ve tried every app and there’s just nothing as smooth as the sync app. Tossing an independent dev $20 a year for something I’m getting thousands of hours of use out of is a no brainer. I give Netflix more every month and don’t get nearly as much value. Too many people expect to get everything for free.

• raptir@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

This paid vs open source thing is silly. They are not antonyms. You can still charge for an open source app. But being open source would make it user auditable so that we know what they are doing with our data.

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It’s true. I just view it as a donation or a convenience fee for not having to build the app yourself from source.

• WiildFiire@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Sync dev has made it incredibly clear what data is being recorded and it’s only because of Google ads

• raptir@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

The point is that with a closed source app your only support for that statement is trust in the developer, while if it was open source we would actually be able to confirm that.

• godless@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

If it’s open source, the developer can’t monetize it. Everyone will just be able to remove ads and compile it from scratch.

FOSS is all fine and dandy, unless being a developer for a popular service (or app) is your sole source of income.

• raptir@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

That’s just not what really happens though. Look at Robert Broglia’s emulators. They are open source and paid, and are some of the most popular paid emulators on the play store despite the fact that people could just download the source from his site and compile them.

• Agent641@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

Bruh I dont care what sort of sauce it has I dont want to compile, it what the fuck. You can have my money, just pipe the memes into my cerebral cortex.

• godless@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Exactly. And lifetime is just about 100 bucks, who cares. Sure it sounds like more than the casual $2 you throw at a random app to remove ads, but considering that I used Sync daily for ~12 years, it’s really just peanuts in the long run.

I’ve bought a bunch of seemingly cheaper apps and then used them 10 times over 2 years and they ended up discontinued, that’s like 20 cents per use.

I’d have racked up tens of thousands with Sync that way. Easily the most used app on my phone.